What is Surya Namaskar?
Hello! Happy Friday!
We’ve got a great tip on how to keep warm on this snowy day: do some yoga!
“Surya namaskar” translates literally to “Sun Salutations”. It is a series of twelve asanas–postures–that, when done together in a series, provide a fantastic cardiovascular workout.
The twelve can be whittled down to a more basic Sun Salutation in eight steps. The steps are as follows:
1. Begin in Tadasana (Mountain Pose) before moving to
2. Urdhva Hastasana, which is a back bend that lifts the heart and exposes the throat.
3. Uttanasana (Forward Fold) releases you from the previous pose
4. Then move into a Low Lunge followed by your
5. Plank Pose. Then move into
6. Chaturanga Dandasana (Four Limbed Staff Pose)
7. Lower the body to Upward Facing Dog Pose and then release to
8. Downward Facing Dog Pose and rest!
Continue to repeat the series to feel the Prana— the life force and energy. That will warm you up pretty quickly!
Please everyone stay safe and warm this weekend.